I’ve been writing at Cult of Mac for over four years, having been hired as a tips/how-to writer initially, then eventually working full-time as the Games Editor, then the Culture Editor, and finally a Staff Writer. I ended my time at Cult of Mac writing daily how-to posts, news, and gadget reviews, as well as managing and producing Cult of Mac Magazine on a weekly basis.
Here are a few of my favorite stories from my time with Cult of Mac.
- Indie Dev Talks Demon Chic, Mental Illness, Making Games, And His Mom – I loved doing this bit of actual reporting, originally for one of the first issues of Cult of Mac Magazine. It was a blast interviewing Marc and learning how to tell a story with quotes.
- How Video Games Can Make Us Better People – For Real – Another Cult of Mac Magazine story, this one is a try at original feature writing; I liked learning how to craft an interesting lede, add in a nut graf, and more, to make this as compelling a read as possible.
- Amazing tiny stereo is big on features [Reviews] – Things have changed over the years at Cult of Mac, just like at any outlet. One of the newer features are these Lust List reviews – shorter, more reviewer-centric, and less technical than standard reviews, they’ve become one of my favorite ways to get the word out about amazing gear and products.
- All-Female iOS Game Revolution 60 Is Far More Than A Political Statement – Before Brianna Wu became a lightning rod for the feminist gaming scene, she developed Revolution 60 for iOS. I loved getting to know her and her husband, sci-fi author and artist Frank Wu, when chatting with them about the game when it came out.
- 13 awesome Apple Watch tricks that prove it doesn’t need a ‘killer app’ – I wrote a LOT of how-tos and tips for both iOS and OS X. The site started looking for ways to bundle all the content together into thematic listicles; here’s one of them.